Price Chopper Grocery Store - Deceptive Marketing
I was at Price Chopper this past weekend.When you walk in the door (next to the floral department) they have that big wall of sale items.
This day they had cereal, 4 boxes for $5. Great deal, right. There were 6 different kinds there to choose from so I picked out 4 boxes and continued on. My daughter decided to get some as well so she went to the wall.
She, being sharper than I, read the fine print on the sale sign. Out of the 6 different kinds of cereal displayed only 4 of them were on sale. I thought this can't be true, why would they display the kind that wasn't on sale with the sale brands. So, I went to the customer service desk to verify that my daughter was being illogical.
The girl behind the counter wasn't sure so she paged someone. As we were waiting for a return call the store manager walked by so she asked him. To my surprise, he said that, in fact, only 4 of the brands were on sale. I asked why he would display the others with the sale items if they weren't on sale.
His exact reply was "because that's the way our marketing department told us to do it." Hmm. Really? Sounds like deceptive advertising to me? Blatant deception!
This is not the first time this has happened at Price Chopper. I have noticed it many times in the past but I always gave them the benefit of the doubt. I grabbed the wrong item, they were stocked incorrectly, things like that. But, this day, I was flat out told that they purposely display the items in a way that, in my opinion, is deceitful.
They are expecting shoppers to do exactly what I did, assume that an item is on sale because it is mixed in with the sale items. Most of the time I never even look at my receipt. I assume, again, that they are being honest. That was my mistake.
But it's one mistake that I will not repeat.
Not only will I NEVER shop at Price Chopper again, but I am also reporting this, along with the photos I took, to the Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs, and any other organization I can find that might be able to put an end to this deceptive practice.Of course, this is only MY OPINION.
More Review Details
- Review category
- Supermarkets and Malls
You May Also Like
- "Went to return a item that I bought last night. Turned out to be the wrong item decided to take it back today. Walked in with the item under my..."
- "On December 25th 2010, my then boyfriend proposed to me. The ring was beautiful, a bit big but beautiful. I got compliments on it daily. However, when we did decide..."
- "February 24, we received delivery of our Kenmore Elite Refrigerator from Searsâ€™s delivery. When plugged it made a loud, continuous noise. A replacement refrigerator is scheduled for delivery..."
- "Ordered 4GB of extra RAM for my site hosted using Bluehost VPS plan. Credit card was charged immediately but the RAM never appeared on the machine after several reboots. Contacted..."
- "Steak 'n Shake Friday Evening 01/20/17 When I arrived there were ; 7 occupied tables, parties of 7,4,2,2,3,4,3 customers & 1@counter One server appeared to be working with a second..."
- "Someone stole my credit card information and made two purchases. The genius purchased the items using my address and attempted to drop ship them to his address but was too..."
- "I have been buying stoffers products for years. Especially French bread pizzas. Today we made them for lunch. DISAPPOINTED!!!..."
- "On November 23, 2013 I purchased a Natuzzi couch and recliner from Raymour and Flanigan in Horseheads, NY. In two years, the cushions have lost their resiliency in many..."
- "To start off the lady in charge came in and was not being professional by yelling at the stylists in front of the customers being very rude.... The girl cutting..."