Price Chopper Grocery Store - Deceptive Marketing
I was at Price Chopper this past weekend.When you walk in the door (next to the floral department) they have that big wall of sale items.
This day they had cereal, 4 boxes for $5. Great deal, right. There were 6 different kinds there to choose from so I picked out 4 boxes and continued on. My daughter decided to get some as well so she went to the wall.
She, being sharper than I, read the fine print on the sale sign. Out of the 6 different kinds of cereal displayed only 4 of them were on sale. I thought this can't be true, why would they display the kind that wasn't on sale with the sale brands. So, I went to the customer service desk to verify that my daughter was being illogical.
The girl behind the counter wasn't sure so she paged someone. As we were waiting for a return call the store manager walked by so she asked him. To my surprise, he said that, in fact, only 4 of the brands were on sale. I asked why he would display the others with the sale items if they weren't on sale.
His exact reply was "because that's the way our marketing department told us to do it." Hmm. Really? Sounds like deceptive advertising to me? Blatant deception!
This is not the first time this has happened at Price Chopper. I have noticed it many times in the past but I always gave them the benefit of the doubt. I grabbed the wrong item, they were stocked incorrectly, things like that. But, this day, I was flat out told that they purposely display the items in a way that, in my opinion, is deceitful.
They are expecting shoppers to do exactly what I did, assume that an item is on sale because it is mixed in with the sale items. Most of the time I never even look at my receipt. I assume, again, that they are being honest. That was my mistake.
But it's one mistake that I will not repeat.
Not only will I NEVER shop at Price Chopper again, but I am also reporting this, along with the photos I took, to the Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs, and any other organization I can find that might be able to put an end to this deceptive practice.Of course, this is only MY OPINION.
More Review Details
- Review category
- Supermarkets and Malls
You May Also Like
- " Recently walked in with pre-existing knowledge of EXACTLY what I wanted from this location. I chose a sectional set, a queen bed set, and dinette set. Pretty nice haul. When..."
- "I went to wal mart in Thibodaux, La.,to pick up my lay-a-way for the lady to tell me that my daughters scooter was out back on the floor to sell..."
- "At Walmart on Fallbrook in Woodland Hills, Ca. I have to bag my own things as the checker just stands their. The check stand in the back is..."
- "On November 23, 2013 I purchased a Natuzzi couch and recliner from Raymour and Flanigan in Horseheads, NY. In two years, the cushions have lost their resiliency in many..."
- "To start off the lady in charge came in and was not being professional by yelling at the stylists in front of the customers being very rude.... The girl cutting..."
- "I have been buying stoffers products for years. Especially French bread pizzas. Today we made them for lunch. DISAPPOINTED!!!..."
- "I ordered a pair of faxon canvas low sneakers that were navy blue and lime green. I was originally happy with the purchase and started to wear the shoes out...."
- "We had purchased a bookcase in August 2016 from The Mallery Hall Collection company. We really liked the design of that bookcase, and we were hoping that this would be..."
- "Purchased a 6.5 ft Aspen Silver Fir Tree with Candlelight bulbs, received a tree with clear LED and one strand of Candlelight. See picture, Yellow Candlelight bulbs on bottom, clear..."